Socialization and mentoring are important in allowing an individual to develop their career requirements. The following are some of the means, which can be used in advancing career requirements:
• Mentorship redefines the career – it assists in retaining talent and providing direction for career growth (Kinicki & Fugate, 2016).
• “Already there” and having actual experiences – a mentor provides ideas and information because the mentor was original in the position that the current person requires mentorship (Kinicki & Fugate, 2016). In addition, a mentor guides an individual in achieving specific goals and aims.
• Confident and self-supporting – the mentee receives advice and assistance from the mentor, and the mentee is able to develop clearer sense resulting in development of self-awareness
• Transfer of information from one individual to the next individual – a success organization operates through teamwork, and a supervisor/manager has techniques to advance the operation of an organization. Therefore, a leader being a mentor provides additional resources, which contributes to effective decision-making processes.
• Socialization encourages acclimatization of a new member (Kinicki & Fugate, 2016) – it allows a newcomer to be included in the processes and actions of an organization. It incorporates inclusion of culture and behaviors of the organization
• Strong organizational culture – socialization creates a stronger bond among the employees because the employees understand the organization and also understand the important components associated with the organization
• Socialization allows adjustments – a new employ comes to an organization without understanding the requirements of the organization: how the organization operates (Kinicki & Fugate, 2016). The employee has minimal information about the organization and socialization ensures the individual understand better the fundamentals of the organization. Hence, it enables an individual to develop in the stated organization and career wise.
The points are the information used to create the PowerPoint while discussion are the notes in discussing the points.
- Kinicki & Fugate, 2016. Chapter 14: organizational culture, socialization, and mentoring