What is an expository essay? Put on your investigative eyes. Evaluate the evidence and define expository essay by expounding on the idea you are presenting. Your goal is to teach people about a topic or issue. You explain or describe the facts on the topic (e.g., the American voting system). You give information on it using 3rd person writing perspective and then propose a thesis (opinion) to state what you feel about the expository essay topics you are considering writing about.
How to Write an Expository Essay
The key to a good assignment is choosing topics for expository writing that will capture your audience’s attention. These five steps will show you how to pick a topic and get to your final draft:
- Stick to a great topic. You’re tasked with taking a third-person view and opinion on expository topics that interest you. Don’t make it hard. Pick a topic you like.
- Do your research. Facts are important. Speaking from an unbiased side will make your essay great. Find out all you can about your topics for expository essays.
- Create an expository essay outline. The structure usually consists of five paragraphs: an introduction, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- Write the first draft. Refer to the outline often and write as quickly as you can. Don’t break your writing rhythm by stopping to make corrections. Get your ideas down on the page efficiently.
- Revise the first draft. Set your essay aside for a couple of days and then make revisions to your content. The time away will encourage you to rethink your structure and arguments.
Expository Essay Topics for Middle School
- Explain why you admire a particular member of your family.
- Explain why you think a dog/cat is the best pet to have.
- Explain why some suburban areas have curfews for teenagers.
- Explain how switching schools affects teenagers.
- Explain why drug use is predominant among teenagers.
Interesting Expository Essay Topics for High School
- Explain why some parents are stricter than others.
- Explain why getting a driver’s license is an important milestone.
- Explain how music affects the way a person learns.
- Explain the reasons why teenagers in urban areas skip school.
- Explain the negative consequences of truancy.
Expository Speech Topics to Catch the Audience
- If you could have a superpower what would it be and why?
- Explain what happens when you sell illegal drugs.
- Explain the likely consequences of vaping.
- Explain how tobacco companies target teenagers.
- Explain the likely consequences of smoking marijuana.
Interesting Expository Essay Topics College
- Explain why teenagers start smoking at an early age.
- Explain how the celebrities that smoke influence teenagers.
- Explain who professional athletes influence teenagers’ fashion choices.
- Explain the negative consequences of being expelled from school.
- Explain how the college application essay helps students stand apart.
Informative Expository Speech Topics
- Explain the negative consequences of online bullying.
- Explain the positive consequences of a shorter school week.
- Explain the likely consequences of shorter school days.
- Explain why having good grammar is important in business.
- Explain how commercials influence consumers’ product choices.
Difficult Topics for Expository Writing
- Explain why someone you’ve met should be thought of as a leader.
- If you could transform into an animal which would it be and why?
- Explain why the drinking age should be lowered to 18.
- Explain why some schools require students to leave when they turn 16.
- Explain what happens when you perform poorly in classes.
Sample Expository Essay Topics
- Explain how the Covid-19 pandemic affects students’ physical health.
- Explain how businesses have been negatively impacted by Covid-19.
- Explain what would happen if the U.S. banned capital punishment.
- Explain what could happen if cities defund the police.
- Explain the likely consequences of using a pass or fail system in school.
Controversial Expository Essay Topics for College
- Explain the impact of including more art courses in school.
- Explain the positive impact that military school has on students.
- Explain the need to make athletics mandatory in high school.
- Explain the importance of having an extended family for growth.
- Explain why bullying is a necessary social activity for students.
Good Expository Essay Topics on Science
- Explain why certain people have difficulties expressing emotions.
- Explain how social media is negatively affecting college students.
- Explain how trade schools lead to better professional prospects.
- Explain how traditional subjects like history and literature are no longer needed.
- Explain the likely consequence of not taking math courses in high school.
Funny Expository Essay Topics
- Explain the negative consequences of teenagers becoming sexually active.
- Explain the impact of removing imprisonment for non-violent criminals.
- Explain the societal impact of abolishing capital punishment.
- Explain the five habits negatively affecting college students.
- Explain the importance of having life insurance coverage for kids.
Expository Paragraph Topics
- Explain how the food stamps program has failed to help lower-income families.
- Explain why it is important to have a safe working environment.
- Explain why some educational institutions don’t have lunch programs.
- Explain why it is important for high schools to have open lunch policies.
- Explain why participating in fantasy sports leagues improve decision-making skills.
More College Expository Essay Topics
- Explain the positive impact that working to pay for a college education has on students.
- Explain why it is important to apply for several internships in college.
- Explain why it is important to accommodate specials needs students in regular courses.
- Explain why the majority of teenagers today value material possessions.
- Explain why sports commentary shows are important for national morale.
Good Expository Speech Topics for a Short Paper
- Explain why teens have difficulties dealing with parents that are in the process of divorcing.
- Explain why some people in the U.S refused to wear masks during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Explain why crime rates went down during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Explain how the United States government responded to medical supply shortages.
- Explain how the Black Lives Matter protests around the world affecting public policy.
Topics for an Expository Essay
- Explain why some women decide to say in abusive relationships.
- Explain how social movements help communities progress in positive ways.
- Explain how equal treatment of employees in the workplace increases morale.
- Explain how abolishing the confederate flag shows a progressive attitude against racism.
- Explain how solar panels work to reduce air pollution in big cities.
Funny Expository Speech Topics
- Explain the appliances that waste the most energy in homes.
- Explain the most helpful mobile phone applications for productivity.
- Explain how a comedic presence in the classroom will improve grades.
- Explain how growing up with a religious presence in the home can be harmful.
- Explain how home team sports should be a required subject in high school.
Simple Expository Paper Topics
- Explain how marijuana affects decision making.
- Explain how alcohol impairs judgment when driving.
- Explain how Japan’s robot technology will help the health industry.
- Explain how offshore drilling affects our oceans’ living environment.
- Explain the positive effects of adopting a 10:00 PM curfew for students.
Topics for Expository Essay for Grad Students
- Explain the things that bring you happiness in life.
- Explain why renting an apartment is better than purchasing a house.
- Explain the likely consequences of voting in the next presidential election.
- Explain professional options for anyone who has failed to finish college.
- Explain what happens when young adults become addicted to alcohol.
- Explain the effects of banning the confederate flag from NASCAR events.
- Explain what happens when schools adopt mandatory uniform policies.
- Explain what it means to have a code of ethics at the workplace.
- Explain the options teenagers have when facing pregnancy.
- Explain what actions should be taken to end racial prejudice.
Easy Expository Essay Topics
- Explain the major issues related to assisted suicide.
- Explain what people need to do to lose weight and gain lean muscle.
- Explain the relationship between poverty and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Explain how Harry Potter influences teenage literacy.
- Explain the similarities in the world’s largest religions.
- Explain the events leading up the Catholicism’s reformation of the church.
- Explain the importance of childhood imaginary play.
- Explain the elements of a great science fiction film.
- Explain the process for giving out American Academy Awards.
- Explain the process of voting in the United States.
If you need more expository writing topics ask our customer support team to put you in contact with one of our professional writers. They can create custom expository essay topic lists to fit any assignment and can help with writing, editing, and proofreading your writing assignment.